Thursday, June 11, 2009

WOW! What A Shocker!

Well today my mom was scheduled to have a hysterectomy. Well, sorta, more like a laser removing the lining of her uterus. She went in and had all the prep work done. She was taken to the OR and put to sleep. Her husband and her MIL went with her so she could have someone drive her back home once everything was finished.

I called my mom to check on her and see how everything went and how she was feeling. They were just pulling out of the hospital when I called. She said she was fine and only in a little pain but went on to tell me they couldn't preform the procedure. They did however do a DNC. You'll never believe why they couldn't do it. She too has a bicornuate uterus with a septum! This is the exact same thing I have. It's like a heart shaped uterus with a wall down the middle. I have read a lot online about BU and SU that cause birth defects, stillbirths, IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction) and so on and so forth. Anyhow, since all my test have come back giving no clue as to why I've all these problems with pregnancy I could only think that my mis-shaped uterus was the cause of all my problems. Now, granted it very well may BE the cause, BUT my mom had 3 FULL-TERM pregnancies with no problems and never has any miscarriages. So there IS hope that I may still carry a full-term pregnancy. But now I've began to wonder is there an underlying condition that the doctors are looking over? If so what could it be and where would I start to look to figure it out? Well, all I can do it lay it unto the Lord's feet and just have faith that He will bless our marriage with a child.

On another note, my mom is going back to see her doctor in 2 weeks to talk about having a hysterectomy where they only take her uterus and leave her ovaries. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers in the weeks to come.

4 comments:

Carly Marie said...

Praying for you Mum Rachael.

Keep asking questions girl!

Monkey Luvins said...

I have the same kind of uterus as you. My daughter was born at 29 weeks, but she is happy and healthy now. You should ask your doctor about possible having surgery to remove the septum. I know that was mentioned to me as a possibility when I was talking to the doctor about what kind of problems having a bicornate uterus could cause.

Carly said...

Wow, hope you get some answers. Praying for you and your family.

Jennifer said...

I have a bicornuate uterus and have had 3 full term pregnancies. I did have a set of twins at 23 weeks with one survivor. But I just wanted to tell you that there is always hope! My twins were born after my 3 full termers.