Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Smell Of Shampoo (Hannah)

WOW! Who would have ever thought the smell of shampoo could bring back such vivid memories?

I got this morning just like any other day. I cleaned the house and did laundry as Ryan worked in the yard trimming the bushes and blowing off the driveway. I needed to shower before we went out to eat and to a movie. We were out of shampoo and conditioner so I asked Ryan to run to the store and pick some up for me. He asked me if it mattered what kind and I said no. He always ask because I like to change my shampoo often. If I don't change it my hair tends to be oily. Ryan comes home and hands me a bag with shampoo and conditioner in it. I pulled out 2 bottles of Pantene Pro-V and headed to the shower. As the water got warm I got ready. I got in the shower and started my normal routine. I wet my hair first and poured shampoo into my hand. I lathered up my hair like normal and all of a sudden this sense came over me. Kinda like a memory, but really hard to put my finger on exactly how it felt. I was smelling this shampoo, it was a strong beautiful smell. Thoughts of Hannah's pregnancy washed over me with such a quickness. I felt refreshed, I felt free, I had this sense of peace wash through my whole body down to my soul. I could remember what it felt like to hold my belly with her and how it felt to anticipate her arrival. I smelled it, I smelled Hannah. It wasn't until I started to smell the shampoo that I realized I hadn't used this particular shampoo since I was pregnant with Hannah. It brought on so many emotions. I felt more happy than sad. It was almost as if she was here saying, "It's ok, remember me now. Remember me how it was when you were happy and expecting me."

Who would have ever though a normal routine of shampooing my hair could do this to my soul! I felt as if I was being embraced by her presence.

3 comments:

chloe's clan said...

That sounds lovely. :)
-Chloe

dragonflyz in June said...

I love how something as simple as a scent can evoke memories - not just of events but of feelings!! I continue to pray for you, for your girls, your family! God Bless
Crystal

Unknown said...

I lost my daughter almost two months ago and certain smells carry me back to certain moments that we shared with her in the NICU. It is a precious thing. Sometimes I even think I smell her. True gifts from God. You can visit my blog if you have a chance. It's sort of just a journal of my life after Jenna Belle. www.handprintsfromheaven.org

I just happened to find your blog through someone and I am truly sorry for your loss.