Saturday, January 17, 2009

WOW! It's Been A Long Time!

It's been a while since I've posted on here. Well it's a new year, and I have to say the past year has defiantly been rough. First in November 2007 I delivered my first daughter Carly 12 weeks premature. We were in the NICU for 4 long months. We had many ups and downs, but we managed to enjoy every second we got with her. In March of 2008 Carly suddenly passed away from a heart defect. This was such a hard time as we thought she would be coming home soon. We had just had a meeting 3 days prior talking about her coming home. Well only 2 weeks after Carly passed away my little brother was in a severe car accident. He drove a mustang convertible. When her wrecked his car flipped and tossed him 40 feet across the street and landed him in a small creek. He was found by the EMT in a coma. He was rushed to a local hospital to be treated. The local hospital was unable to care for his level of injury, and he was air lifted to Carolina's Medical Center. He was in the neurosurgical intensive care unit for about 3 weeks where he remained in a coma. He was eventually moved to rehab where he finished out his 2 month stay in the hospital. He had to learn how to walk again, talk again, think again, and even had to learn how to eat again. At first the doctors weren't sure if he would even survive. And then when they thought that he would they said that he would have to have 24 hour 7 day a week nursing care. Well God truly had his hand on Josh. He's walking, talking and just being Josh again. He still has problems with his memory but he's getting back to his normal self. Well 2 weeks after Josh had his wreck I became pregnant again. You all know about my pregnancy. You all know how it ended with Hannah's stillbirth at 32 weeks. Yet another bump in the road I travel. Well I have to say that God has truly carried me through this past year. He's given me all the strength and courage to carry on. Having this preemie clothing drive in Carly's memory has really helped me with dealing with my daughters death.

I'm finally back in school. I've been in school since 2006 part time working on my nursing degree. I never really knew what field of nursing I wanted to go into until I delivered Carly. Now I know that I want to and feel lead to be a NICU nurse. So I'm back in school and it's still part time. But soon enough I will reach my goal. I know it will be a full filling career. I really look forward to working with premature babies in the future.

Now for some more news. I got Hannah's autopsy back a few weeks ago. The cause of death came back undetermined. That was heartbreaking to hear. I was really hoping for some answers. Well the more I search and look over things I found out I had the same infection in my placenta with Hannah as I had with Carly. I also found links online linking this infection to stillbirths. So I'm hoping to go back to my MFM soon and talk these things over and see if there is anything we can do to possibly have the chance of having another baby but healthy. So everyone please pray that something can be figured out.

Last but not least, Ryan and I have set a date to get married. After being together for nearly 6 years we are finally getting married on the 14th of February. This was short notice decision that we made but it will be sweet and simple. I'm so glad to be moving forward. We've been in counseling still yet and are learning to love each other on a whole new level.

Well to everyone who reads this I wish you all a very happy and blessed new year.

Rachel

6 comments:

Carly Marie said...

What a beautiful post Rachel.

I think it is just amazing that you are working towards becoming an NICU nurse.

Congratulations on your amazing Onesie drive story... This is incredible.

I am so sorry that Hannah's results did not give you any answers. I'm so sorry. You and Ryan are in our prayers.

What a beautiful day you will have on the 14th of February. Valentines Day, how romantic x

Sending you love Girl!

Carly x

Michelle said...

What a beautiful post Rachel. I'm glad you were able to have a successful drive and good luck with your schooling!

Congratulations on your future marriage...I know it will be a challenging but every day is a challenging day but it's what you make of the day that is what counts!

I believe I posted you on the other board about Hannah's results but I'm sorry they didn't have any real answers! Definately keep digging and striving for the answers you are looking for.

Have a beautiful wedding and an incrediable life!!

Hugs) Shelly aka momof2in1yr

The Dorns said...

I still think of you and your beautiful daughters.

There is not much I can say to heal, but knowing others are there holding you up is a great comfort.

God has mighty plans for you and your life. Congratulations on school you will save hundreds of lives all while having your two tiny angels watching mommy work wonders.

Beth Herring said...

I found your story on another webpage. I read both of them and my heart just goes out to you. But you show such strength in the Lord and I hope that you continue to hold on to your faith. February 14th will be my 25th anniversary. What a great day to get married!

I will be praying for you and Ryan.

Joyfully His,
Beth Herring

The Mannix Clan said...

That was such a beautiful post Rachael! It brought tears to my eyes. I was hoping you would find the answers you were looking for in regards to Hannah, as not knowing is so difficult to handle. I think of Hannah often and wonder what could have happened...

It seems the onesie drive is a great success - I am still collecting onesies here in San Diego for you. I will try to get them out to out in the next week or two. Your story is amazing and so inspiring to others. My boys have decided to have a onesie drive here in San Diego to benefit our local Children's hospital. Three of my five children were delivered 4-5 weeks early. We have been very blessed that none had to be put into the NICU.

I am so happy for you and Ryan. And wish you both the best.

Amy

Sarah said...

I also had a short notice wedding that was sweet and simple :-) wouldn't change it for the world! I really admire your strength, thank you for sharing your story!